January has been a big month for fertility decisions.
At the beginning of the month we attended a seminar on domestic adoption. It was a full two day event and a very emotionally intense couple of days. The seminar itself warrants its own post (or several) but in conclusion, we have given ourselves two months to reflect and talk about whether or not we want to proceed with domestic adoption. In the meantime, we plan to attend an information session on international adoption.
We attended the seminars at the advice of my psychologist who told us we need to evaluate adoption while we still feel like we have options. As she put it, we don’t want to look at each other in 10 years and say “Why didn’t we look into adoption again?” because that could very quickly lead to blame and resentment.
We were also offered another fresh IVF cycle. Which means the decision we were putting off now had to be made.
In the end, we have decided to proceed with another cycle and the Suprefact starts next week.
We did an old-fashioned pros and cons list but what it boiled to was that we might as well do this while we have the money and jobs as the economy is not getting any better and I am not getting any younger. It makes me angry, the money component. After this cycle we will have spent the equivalent of what we intend to spend on my DH’s MBA on trying to get pregnant.
It’s a pretty tough pill to swallow.